Friday, May 3, 2013

11. Subway Medley

Lights up on stage. Subway platform.

My dad and I sat on the bench waiting for our train behind us. Spotlight on Victoria, the lead actress. Rolling down the platform in her sleek black luggage, big plastic rimmed glasses covering half of her face, loose , straight blond hair tied back, loose strands on her face escaping from the grasp. Victoria was holding a folded up subway map on the other hand. She looked back and forth. Back and forth. Flustered.

She looked at the readily departing train and shouted at the open door into the sea of non-responsive people, "Does this go to the West Side or East Side?"

Before I could hold back, I shouted, "Times Square! That goes to Times Square." My dad looked at me funny. Oops, I hope I didn't disturb my fellow audience members around me.

Victoria caught my eye and I blushed. She heard me! She repeated, "West or East?"

I tilted my head, "Huh?"

Who knows the difference between East or West?

Silence.

The chorus of passengers turned around behind me and sang in unity, "Where are you going?"

"West side," Victoria shouted back at the chorus.

"What stop?" By now everyone was alert and attentive.

Victoria looked at me, waiting for a response. I hesitated, thinking. I slowly raised my hand, pointed behind me, and cued the passengers to go belt out, "This side!"

"Thank you," Victoria said matter-of-factually and rolled her luggage along with her to the other side of the platform. She leaned on the pillar and stared far into the darkness, awaiting for her train.

Curtain down.

What I love about this is the amount of people that was involved in helping Victoria. If only when you make the decision to be open, reach out for the support, and grabbing the hand as it reaches out for you. We're all connected. We all want to be heard. And when we see those who are seeking help, we all have the compassion in our hearts to reach out to our fellow stranger neighbor, and hold them, even if it's just for one second.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment