Thursday, May 2, 2013

10. Naeem

3:00AM- Flushing, Queens, NY- I really had to use the bathroom. Almost every store was closed except for the Burger King and McDonald's. I ran inside Burger King. Closed.

"Please! I'll buy a chicken sandwich!"

The cashier shook his head, his urge to laugh masked with apologetic compassion. So, I skipped my way over to McDonald's. Closed again. Not one bathroom available in this ghostly yet soothing town during this time.

A bright red neon sign that screamed "LOTTO" caught my eye. I walked into the store. A woman was shopping and Naeem was standing on the side, arms crossed, resting on his belly.

"Excuse me sir. Is there a bathroom I may use? I'll buy something," I dramatically clasped my hands together and started jumping up and down. "Please, please, please."

"I don't have a bathroom. Come, look-" Naeem walked to the back and gestured his hands towards the alley way, full of stock, empty of any signs of a bathroom. "If I have bathroom, I give you use. But no, we go to the bathroom downstairs in the mall. If I have a bathroom, I let you use."

Naeem raised his dark eyebrows as a thought came into his head. "Ah, Burger King has a bathroom. Go to Burger King! Here, I give you money. You buy chicken sandwich for me so you can use the bathroom." He quickly went behind the counter to grab his wallet.

"No, no, it's okay-"

"Come, I give you money. You buy me a chicken sandwich."

We began dancing back and forth. I just met this man for less than 5 minutes and he wanted to give me his money  to buy a chicken sandwich just so I may use the bathroom. A win-win for both of us: hungry tummy-relieved bladder. The only thing is... the bathroom was closed. I began to make my way out of the door, waving my arms proudly, lying, "Okay, I'll check the Burger King!"

Stupid, why did I lie? Why didn't I just tell him the bathroom was closed? I pointed my finger at him (how rude of me) and said, "I'll bring you back a chicken sandwich!"

Well, I didn't go back to the Lotto store that night. I met someone named Joe and we took the bus together. (As for the update on the bathroom hunt- I waited till I was home.) But now, it's a week later and it was around 12:30AM in Flushing. I saw the bright red "LOTTO" seducing me and I thought of the kind man who trusted me with his money to bring him back a chicken sandwich, just so I may use bathroom.

I had to go back to see him. And this time, I bought a chicken sandwich. (Burger King was having a buy one, get one sale on the chicken sandwiches  so win-win for both of us!) I entered the store and Naeem was organizing the candy shelves. He turned to look at me with his wide brown eyes and I smiled, "Remember me? I came in last week asking to use the bathroom and you told me to go to Burger King and you would give me money to buy a chicken sandwich, just so I can use the bathroom? Well... here. I got you this."

Naeem looked at me confused. Then at the chicken sandwich. Me. Sandwich. Me. Chicken. "Oh wow... you didn't have to do this... I give you money," Naeem started to go to the back of the counter, but I stopped him.

I wanted this to be a gift from me to him. A token for his kindness in being open and willing to help a stranger out. I was touched by his authenticity and I admired his humility.  Naeem is from Pakistan and he has been living in Flushing for 15 years. He works a lot, lives alone, and is single ready to mingle. Naeem is in his early 50's and occasionally misses Pakistan. He speaks Urdu. He has 2 other brothers. He won't be working much longer at the Lotto store anymore. The Lotto store owner is his friend and Naeem was just helping out.

His wispy black and hint of grey hair fell gently on the front of his face. He would carefully look at me when we chatted, fully engrossed and his hands conducting genuine elegance. As I got ready to go, Naeeem gave me his number on the back of an old lottery ticket. "If you ever need help, give me a call."

Thank you Naeem. Thank you for reinforcing my hope in humility and the close connection created among all of us that keeps us together.

So it all started when I missed the bathroom opportunity in Manhattan and carried it with me to Flushing. The catalyst was Burger King. And reaction was chicken sandwich. The result- a new friend.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story! Please, please, please keep writing them. I can't wait to read more about the friends you haven't met yet.

    ReplyDelete